Prof. Michael Ruse
Michael Ruse is Lucyle T. Werkmeister Professor and Director of the History and Philosophy of Science Program at Florida State University. Professor Ruse obtained his PhD in philosophy from the University of Bristol and was Professor of History, Philosophy and Zoology at the University of Guelph before moving to FSU in 2004.
Professor Ruse has written extensively about the philosophy of biology, especially Darwinism, and is a major contributor to current debates. He has received many honours: he is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; he won the John Templeton Book Prize in 1999: he was Herbert Spencer Lecturer at Oxford University in 1994 and Gifford Lecturer at Glasgow University in 2001; he has received honorary doctorates from Bergen and McMaster Universities.
Recent Selected Publications
- Darwinism Defended: A Guide to the Evolution Controversies, Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley, 1982.
- Taking Darwin Seriously: A Naturalistic Approach to Philosophy, Oxford: Blackwell, 1986; 2nd edition with new preface 1998, Prometheus Books, Buffalo, NY.
- But is it Science? The Philosophical Question in the Evolution/Creation Controversy, (Edited Volume) Buffalo: Prometheus, 1988; 2nd edition with Robert Pennock, 2008.
- Can a Darwinian be a Christian? The Relationship between Science and Religion, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- The Evolution Wars: A Guide to the Controversies, Santa Barbara: ABC CLIO, 2000. Pbk, Rutgers University Press, 2001.
- Cloning (edited with Aryne Sheppard), Buffalo: Prometheus, 2001.
- Of the Plurality of Worlds: An Essay, by William Whewell (edited with preface), Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2001.
- Genetically Modified Foods (edited with David Castle), Buffalo: Prometheus, 2002.
- Stem Cell Research (edited with Christopher Pynes), Buffalo: Prometheus, 2003, 2nd edition 2006.
- Debating Design: Darwin to DNA (edited with William Dembski), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Darwin and Design: Does Evolution have a Purpose? Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 2003.
- Darwinian Heresies (edited with Abigail Lustig and Robert J. Richards), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- The Evolution/Creation Struggle, Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 2005.
- Darwinism and its Discontents, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006.